September 21, 2008

color or black-and-white ?


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I'd like to take a little survey today -- which do you prefer -- the first shot, with color;  or the second shot, in black-and-white.

The reason I'm asking is that a good buddy of mine -- a skilled and experienced Photoshopper -- told me that the first photo has a brownish tinge to the splash water, making it look kind of dirty.   He suggested that I change the brownish cast to more of a yellowish cast, or just turn the photo into a black-and-white, as in the second photo.   I kind of like the photo just the way it is, brown and all, but can you folks give me a second opinion?


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

13 comments:

Ivar Østtun said...

I love to visit you and your wonderful pictures from the sea/beach. Great shots every time :-)

Louise said...

I'm usually a huge fan of black and white (though I don't often do it to my own photos). But I like this one better in color. I think there is more detail. And to me, the brown isn't "dirty" looking, but more of a golden, early morning or late evening color of light.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on that. It is - as it is! Although not really a colorful picture - the color nuances bring it to life! The B/W can't transport those nuances.
Have a great weekend!
Cheers, Klaus

Mari said...

Both are beautiful, I think I prefer color, there´s warmness too, but b&w is more powerfull.

Müge Tekil said...

The first photo is slightly brown indeed but it's difficult to say which one is more beautiful ... The B/W is not bad but has no depth (if I'm using the right word). The original shot is more alive I think.

Janice said...

I like the original. There is a certain depth and transparency in the spray that doesn't come through in the black and white.

Tomate Farcie said...

Without a doubt (and without reading the comments so as to not get influenced) I vote for the first one, WITH color, hands down. The reason is simple, I just love color, so in *most* cases, I will say, go with the color version (unless you are trying to hide some defect or some noise, or want to go for special effect but that's different).

The water may be dirty, filled with particles, or it just conveys that the ocean is angry at something, I don't know. I would leave the color in there, because taking it away takes part of the message away, I think.

This shot (with or without color!) packs a lot of energy, a lot of power, why you could almost hear the water splash! The entire series of water shots you had over the last few days is fabulous!

Anna said...

I think the b&w version looses something in the process.

Question: Have you tried separating the channels into RGB? We find using one of those (usually the red) looks much better than just going to greyscale.

A.

Janet Kincaid said...

I love B&W, but definitely color for this photo.

chrome3d said...

I like the small colour range of the original more. It leaves more to imagination.

photowannabe said...

I agree with the other commenters and I believe tomate farcie said it perfectly.
I always love your ocean shots anyway Don.

Tash said...

Color - my final answer (I think). Definitely color.

Fish Whisperer said...

Try to enhance the golden color in PS or try it in sepia tones with a little more contrast.
Cheers

 
under construction