July 10, 2007

egrets and pickleweed


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Pickleweed is an inter-tidal plant with the unique ability to grow on the edge of saltwater bays...   For the water it needs, the plant uses a membrane to filter out most of the salt...   Any salt that does pass into the Pickleweed gets stored in bulbous-like extremeties that eventually fill with salt, die, and fall off...


CLICK to visit my photographic Daily-Duo...
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat...


Your comments are invited and welcome...

2 comments:

JAM said...

I'm learning all kinds of neat stuff her today.

That egret's feathers looks like my hair first thing in the morning.

photowannabe said...

My hubby and I acted as docents for a teacher friends 3rd grade classes for 4 years. We taught the kids all about pickleweed at the Salt Marsh by Union City. it was a deightful way to learn.

 
under construction