October 10, 2013

differences between sunrise and sunset


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

That is a sunrise (above).
-----------------------------
I've always wondered if it was just my imagination or if it was true--that sunrises seem more brilliant and colorful than sunsets.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

That is a sunset (above).
----------------------------
Well, the word-on-the-street is that during a sunset our eyes just can't adjust fast enough to keep up with the rapidly darkening conditions.

Early in the morning our pupils are wide-open, ready to notice even the faintest offerings of color. At dawn, colors are less "washed-out" by the brightness of the day.

Taking all of this into consideration, I think it is logical to assume that the colorful drama of sunrise lasts longer, time-wise, when compared to a sunset. Where is my watch?


CLICK for 40 photos on what I call my "big site"; photoarrow.com.
CLICK for "Photographing Marin County"; my Marin County exhibit.

2 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Well I'll be. I never gave it much thought before.

Zoomie said...

Yes, but often sunrises are more pastel in nature. In fact, I've often thought that people learned about the idea of pastel colors by watching sunrises.

 
under construction