October 17, 2013

color on a canvas of water


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I don't know what this looks like on your monitor, but on mine it is just way too darn blue. I could have easily removed the blue during post-processing, but decided just to leave it is. After all, I suppose blue is my favorite color.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

These are the waters of Alpine Dam on the northeast flank of my beloved Mount Tamalpais. Barely a drop of blue here, probably because I was shooting directly in the opposite direction of the first photo.

Photographically, the location of the sun in relationship to the direction the camera is pointing has a whole lot to do with how colors and contrast will be rendered. Here is your photo lesson for the day; if you want your lighting to be "flat and dull" then shoot with the sun on your back. If you want some snappy contrast and "pazazz" in your lighting, then shoot into the general direction of the sun.


CLICK for "Photographing Marin County"

No comments:

 
under construction