June 30, 2013

"Splish, splash, I was taking a bath"


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Now, unless you are old as dirt like me, you probably don't remember Bobby Darin's 1958 hit; "Splish, splash, I was taking a bath". And you probably also missed out on such classic boppers like "Lollypop", "Peggy Sue", and "Good Golly Miss Molly". They just don't write songs like those anymore!



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Got any favorite surfing songs you remember? Believe me, before the Beatles arrived on the scene, the Beach Boys were just about as popular.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Okay, not exactly a surfing song, but my ears would perk-up when our local rock-n-roll station in Monterey, KMBY, played "The Monster Mash" for the um-teenth time that day. Just couldn't get enough of it.  And yes, when I wasn't phoning up our local cigar store to see if they had Prince Albert in a can--and if they did--would they please let him out, I would be on the phone to the KMBY request line begging them for another spin with "Monster Mash".


CLICK for 40 new photos on my main website; www.photoarrow.com.

CLICK for preview of my exhibit at Mill Valley Library during July 2013.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great surf photos! surprised there was no mention of jan and dean after the beach boys! everybody loved the monster mash!

AphotoAday said...

Hi Gregory -- you know, Jan and Dean completely escaped my memory. By the way, Gregory, I was spooking around your Google+ page yesterday and found that GREAT video on Black and White, raw, jpeg, film, etc... A lot to digest--really good info!

 
under construction