January 29, 2013

From afar, San Francisco


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I probably was no older than 5, and I had absolutely no idea the world was any bigger than my environs of Pacific Grove and Monterey, California.
My jaw dropped when one of my little neighborhood friends tried his best to explain the vastness of our country. He had just returned from a vacation to Chicago by car, which he described as a long, long, really long way away.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I've never lived in San Francisco, but I sure have passed-through a half-billion times. "Grandma" lived here in Marin County and our Kinney Family lived 120 miles to the south. Any event was an excuse for a "family" get-together.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

But my brother and I were repeatedly warned, as we passed through in our yellow 1947 Pointiac, about San Francisco and its evils. It was a bad place--skid row was a place you didn't want to be caught. "Stay away from liquor and fast women" was the stern and often repeated warning. Naturally, we "Kinney Boys" couldn't wait to arrive. I think we both tore it up pretty good.


CLICK for 40 new photos on my "NEW" photo website.

No comments:

 
under construction