April 03, 2012

quiet time in Northbeach


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Grand announcement: I'll be heading down to Stanford University this evening for the start of a night class I will be taking--"Developing your Photographic Vision", taught by Thom Sempere.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I've been enjoying reading through our class book; "Art and Fear", and what I think I've gotten out of it so far is that I should never cater to the expectations of the people who will see my work.

Paraphrasing the book--it warns that fear of being understood leaves me dependent on my audience. Ideas and creativity get diluted to what I imagine my audience can imagine. The book warns that this may lead to work that is condescending and arrogant. At worst, there is the danger that my own highest vision will be discarded in the process.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

So, I have absolutely no idea of where the class will take my vision. Hopefully I will be able to justify a theme I've been experimenting with--shooting into empty restaurant windows (top set of photos), oh so early in the morning.

I am on the other side looking in. Glasses are empty. Napkins unsoiled. Silverware neatly arranged and standing by. Really, folks, the emptiness of the tilted goblet balanced by the assuring boldness of that classic white pitcher--it's a recurring story in my life. Maybe you wouldn't understand.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The window at Molinari's, on Columbus Avenue in the heart of Northbeach.


CLICK for the very "best" of my work on my photo website.

No comments:

 
under construction