May 17, 2011

way out in West Marin County


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

As a kid our family would generally take a Sunday afternoon drive. I suppose gasoline way back then was selling for less than 50 cents per gallon.

But I still like to get out for a Sunday afternoon drive -- and West Marin County is the perfect place to do it. My loop is about 40 miles -- starting here in Fairfax I head over the hill out towards Nicasio, then take the Petaluma-Point Reyes Road over to the Cheese Factory (yum, yum). Then out Hicks Valley Road to Petaluma-Marshall Road, up and over the hill and out Cheleno Valley Road, through some extraordinarily bucolic farmland all the way out to Two Rock. Then it's back on Spring Hill Road, back the other way on Petaluma-Marshall Road, back on Hicks Valley Road, back past the Cheese Factory (yum, yum), back to Nicasio, and back home -- where Kitty looks at me and always asks the same question; "WHERE have you been?".



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I'm not quite sure if this bovine is more funny-looking than he is adorable but I stopped to say hello and take a snap anyway.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This is Spring Hill Dairy on -- you guessed it -- Spring Hill Road. Technically this road is just over the line in Sonoma County, but to me it is still part of the beauty of West Marin.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

People still live here but there isn't much activity on this old dairy farm on Cheleno Valley Road.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Yes, it was another very pleasant Sunday afternoon drive. Gasoline may be through-the-roof but beauty like these puffy clouds is still free. Amen.



CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

No comments:

 
under construction