June 21, 2009

"My" Lagunitas Creek


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I've known about Lagunitas Creek here in Marin County most of my life, but it wasn't until six or seven years ago when I resumed shutter-bugging that I really fell in love with the place.

And yes, the Lagunitas Creek is my creek -- most of the time I'm the only person out there enjoying it.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

When the mood strikes, you'll find me out at the Lagunitas Creek, usually early in the morning.   I've learned that for the the best reflections the water must be in shade -- the color comes from the nearby illuminated vegetation and sky.   Generally, you want the position of the sun (even though you are in the shade) to be at your back.   Cloudy days are not very good for photographing this sort of thing.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Using an ISO of 100 (for minimum noise) in such low light conditions means that I usually need to shoot wide-open (f-4 on my 70-200 "L"), and all of that adds up to a very shallow depth-of-field.

Hope you can't tell that I sharpened (with Photoshop) the holy-heck out of these.   I also boosted the "color luminance" quite a bit, but that's supposed to be a secret.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I call this sort of thing "abstract water"...

You can see more Lagunitas Creek photos on my "big" site at:
http://www.photoarrow.com/big/98/98lagunitascreek.html
and
http://www.photoarrow.com/big/97/97lagunitascreek.html


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

2 comments:

Louise said...

These photos are beautiful, but don't look noticeably altered. I LOVE you "abstract water," and am glad you have your own creek!

Jane said...

Wow! Lovely! Great eye.

 
under construction