June 29, 2009

Legion of Honor, S.F.


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

On Saturday I ended up at truly one of my favorite places -- the Legion of Honor in San Francisco.

If you didn't know by now, I'm a real sucker for pretty ladies, like the ones in these paintings.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The Legion of Honor displays an impressive collection of 4,000 years of ancient and European art in an unforgettable setting overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge.

The same $10 admission ticket will also get you into the fabulous DeYoung Museum in Golden Gate Park if you show up on the same day -- but museums tend to wear-me-out so I've only taken in both museums in a single day once.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The Legion of Honor was completed in 1924 and is a three-quarter scale adaptation of the 18th-century Palais de la Légion d’Honneur in Paris..

The major donor of construction money and art to the museum was Anna Bretteville Spreckels, the wife of the fantastically wealthy sugar baron.   You wouldn't think there was so much money to be made by having a monopoly on sugar, but apparently there was.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Time goes on, but there are some eternal lessons to be learned from some of the art in the museum...


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

7 comments:

photowannabe said...

Its so neat that you were able to take pictures of the great masters.
I especially like the first one.

Anonymous said...

yeah, how did you sneak that camera in? :)

I didn't know you could do both museums in one day. That's a lot of museum at once, I think, unless they have specific exhibits you want to see.

tomate farcie

AphotoAday said...

HI PHOTOWANNABE SUE -- Yep, their painting technique was truly outstanding...

AND HI ANONYMOUS (T.F.?) -- Yep, photography with no flash is absolutely no problem at either museum.   I'm always on my best behavior because they watch me pretty closely when I'm in there.   Good thing, because there's a Monet worth tens of millions in a far room next to an emergency exit that I'd just LOVE to steal...

Si's blog said...

Try to hit the art museums in Washington every chance I get. My favorites are the PreRaphaelites. Beautiful depictions of women, nature, and legends.

Louise said...

Museums, though I love them, wear me out, too. Half a day and I'm finished.

Pretty ladies. These are! And there is beauty more than skin-deep.

Müge said...

Oh I would like to visit that museum! Very nice paintings!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I really like the last portrait! what is the title of it?

 
under construction