March 25, 2008

Ape Do Good Printing


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

On Sunday my camera and I went for a little walk around San Francisco's colorful Mission District.   I had a great time shooting the plethora of hispanic murals, but standing out from all of them was this business-front with a decidedly Japanese theme and a bit of humor in the sign.   When I got home I Googled "Ape Do Good Printing" and found that this is one of San Francisco's very best screen printing shops.   And no, Mr. Ape does not appear to be Japanese at all -- but from his photo he appears to be substantially larger and stronger than me, but I certainly would never call him an ape...

Ah yes, screen printing -- that takes me back a few years...   I don't know why I feel I need to tell you this, but from 1968 through 1985 (with two years out for the draft) I worked for a small company that manufactured Versatex Textile Paint -- a water-base pigmented textile ink popular with silkscreeners and airbrush artists.   I spent my days up to my armpits in large kettles of colorful mixtures with powerful odors.


CLICK to visit the now clickable Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.

announcing my newly re-designed collection:  
CLICK for what I call my BIG site



Your comments are invited and welcome.


1 comment:

photowannabe said...

This is such a fascinating shot Don. Its certainly eye catching. I wonder if it offends some of Japanese descent.
Love the colors and images.

 
under construction