July 15, 2014

Madrones on Mt. Tamalpais


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Usually I only get into these posterization effects when I make a last-ditch effort in dealing with an otherwise hopeless image. But I've been attempting to photograph this venerable Madrone tree for years now--usually without much success. While I was snapping away I knew I was going to have to give it a bit of an experimental flavor--or something.

This [above] was shot as a panorama of 5 wide-angle vertical images stitched together in Photoshop, given a bit of reduced-clarity, and then posterized with a limited palette of colors. You might like it, but then--you might not.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Madrones are like snakes--they outgrow their thin skin and shed it annually. Some folks call them "refrigerator" trees, and if you hug one on a really hot day you will know why.


NEW !
Donald Kinney Quarterly - volume 2014 issue 2       
Donald Kinney Quarterly - volume 2014 issue 1       

3 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Naa..I feel I am on a bad trip. I like the second photo much better.

GreenComotion said...

I like the 2nd photo of the split skin.

Peace :)

AphotoAday said...

Thanks, Chandra…

and John (Sinbad's Dad) -- well, maybe "bad trip" is what I was going for. Do you remember the famous "Scream" painting by Edvard Munch? http://legomenon.com/meaning-of-the-scream-1893-painting-by-edvard-munch.html

 
under construction