December 09, 2013

9/25 - Photographing Marin County - my new book


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This image is on page 32 of the book...   Taken July 2010.

The main part of Mount Tamalpais is a sculpted peak, but she also has a 5 mile long ridge rising almost 2000 feet above Stinson Beach and the Pacific Ocean below. The appropriately named Ridgecrest Boulevard stretches the full length of the ridge and views are exceptional. A great place at sunset.

Countless automobile commercials have been filmed on Ridgecrest Blvd over the years. Same goes for the also spectacular Fairfax-to-Bolinas Rd, just on the other side of town from where I reside. I am a lucky guy.

Tiny particles of dust allow moisture to coalesce. Then air and water temperature differentials, moisture content, pressure, and other scientific variables mysteriously manage to spew-forth vast volumes of finely divided particles of water. Low and creeping currents of fog advance from ocean towards land. Fog being heavier than air sinks, forming thick blankets.

Fog can come roaring-in-like-a-freight-train; or it can hang ghostlike.
An exceptional afternoon. Right place at the right time.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This image is on page 29 of the book...   Taken October 2011.

I don't have a clue where I shot this image. Nor would I ever be able to revisit that particular event anyway. Fleeting moment, gone-with-the-wind.

[boiler-plate]
Okay, okay, I realize that not everybody has $30 to shell out for a book, no matter how much they might want to support me and my work, so for the next 16 days I will be showing images from the book 2 at a time. You can also see exactly what the book looks like in a preview from MagCloud, the publisher, and you can also visit my website, DonaldKinney.com to see the images displayed as an exhibit without the book formatting and more info on how to place your order.


Photographing Marin County - the exhibit and book


No comments:

 
under construction