December 08, 2013

8/25 - Photographing Marin County - my new book


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This image is on page 27...   Taken March 2013, at McIssac Ranch.

Occasionally I will stop here at the McIssac Ranch near the intersection of Platform Road and Sir Francis Drake Boulevard for a little conversation with this horse--but more often than not she is busy grazing somewhere on the hill. And it seems like these hills turn brown way too quickly, as they are now--but not for long. Winter rains are arriving--excitement is in the air.

But this was one of those Kodak-moments where all the elements just fell into place. Not that I was waiting for those birds to take flight--they just did, and fortunately instead of just dropping my jaw, I managed to squeeze off a shot at the right moment. Pure luck.

In July this photo won a "special award" at the Marin County Fair, and earned me a $100 gift certificate given by a local business, "Digital Light Rain", who specialize in professional digital imaging and quality printing.

The print also hangs in the homes of two of my friends, which is the ultimate reward for what I do. And I even like the image myself. I like it a whole lot. Hope you do too. Actually, if you REALLY like it and haven't yet spent all your Xmas cash, you can BUY a print and hang it in your home too. It will cost you an arm-and-a-leg, but hey--who needs extremities when eyes can feast on such a peaceful scene.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This image is on page 29...   Taken January 2013, near Nicasio.

As you might have noticed, I do a lot of shooting in the Nicasio area, which is more or less the geographical center of my beloved "west" Marin County. Over the hill and only a few miles to the east is the "other" Marin County, home to the dreaded "Highway One-Oh-One". The "other" Marin County does have its nicer bits but relatively little charm, and certainly very little of the peaceful beauty we will find in "west" Marin.

[boiler-plate]
Okay, okay, I realize that not everybody has $30 to shell out for a book, no matter how much they might want to support me and my work, so for the next 17 days I will be showing images from the book 2 at a time. You can also see exactly what the book looks like in a preview from MagCloud, the publisher, and you can also visit my website, DonaldKinney.com to see the images displayed as an exhibit without the book formatting and more info on how to place your order.


Photographing Marin County - the exhibit and book


No comments:

 
under construction