January 12, 2013

alone and early, Palace of Fine Art, S.F.


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Okay, before I get out my Wikipedia and paste-in the obligatory but boring facts, let me explain... As far as solitude goes, when I arrive early at the Palace of Fine Arts--very early--I have the whole place to myself.

And the fantasy rings true--after all, who else in their right mind would be here, struggling with a cold and recalcitrant tripod, so bloody early?



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The Palace of Fine Arts was one of ten palaces at the heart of the [1915] Panama-Pacific Exhibition, which also included the exhibit palaces of Education, Liberal Arts, Manufactures, Varied Industries, Agriculture, Food Products, Transportation, Mines and Metallurgy and the Palace of Machinery. The Palace of Fine Arts was designed by Bernard Maybeck, who took his inspiration from Roman and Greek architecture in designing what was essentially a fictional ruin from another time.

The underside of the Palace rotunda's dome features eight large insets, which originally contained murals by Robert Reid. Four depicted the conception and birth of Art, "its commitment to the Earth, its progress and acceptance by the human intellect," and four the "golds" of California (poppies, citrus fruits, metallic gold, and wheat).
source:  Wikipedia



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

But returning to my early morning fantasy...
Yes, oh lady of stone--for the moment we are indeed, alone.


CLICK for 40 new photos on my "NEW" photo website.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those pillars reflecting in the water are wild. Even the color is wild. Beautiful piece. I like your solitary lady also

JB

 
under construction