January 07, 2013

morning, down by the bridge


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

A few months ago I replaced "Old Stickie" with a new tripod, an aluminum Til-Tall. Its the exact same make and model tripod I used as a kid.

Not that I enjoy hauling the tripod around, so it remains in the back of my car--where it belongs--until I think I'll be needing it. More often than not I can find a convenient place to brace the camera in lieu of using the tripod. These days with digital we can select what "film" speed we need, while always trying to keep it as low as possible.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

With the new tripod I've been doing multiple exposure panorama shots. Photoshop's "stitching" program usually does a fine job of automating the alignment, except lens distortion can easily creep in to the finished assemblage. Notice the out-of-kilter tower to the right of Alcatraz.

One of the benefits of making these panoramas is the resulting HUGE original image, suitable for HUGE prints, which theoretically would fetch HUGE sums in galleries and exhibit halls. Half the fun is in the dream...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This is a two exposure panorama--top and bottom. f-11 at 30sec, ISO-100. Of course, having the camera on the tripod allowed me to experiment with different shutter times. Longest with smoothed detail seems to look best.

This is the Golden Gate Bridge from Fort Baker, on the Marin County side.


CLICK for 40 new photos on my "NEW" photo website.

No comments:

 
under construction