July 13, 2012

fog of the gods


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Years ago there was a painter, William Alexander, who gave lessons on TV. At the time I was working in an art supply store and following his programs his students would trickle in, asking for the the brand of paints he had recommended--his own line of products--a line we did not carry, of course.

He called his white, "Almighty White", which he would always recommend for the proper rendering "God's Light". Trying to convince a William Alexander student that "regular" old Titanium White was fairly universal--no different than any other brand of Titanium White--always brought disappointment and a frown.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This is "Spirit Rock" in west Marin County. It is believed to have been a sacred place for the native Ohlone Indians. Now, who would would want to argue with that? No substitutions allowed.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Oh I don't know... And really, I don't...
I look at beautiful expanses like this and sometimes wonder. I suppose at times things are even more beautiful when the entire explanation is free-form and unknown.


CLICK for the very "best" of my work on my photo website.

2 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

"Fire it in!" Loved watching Bill.

Anonymous said...

Love that third panorama of the fog in the valley ... those hills popping out in the background are delightful and the golden colored hill in the foreground leads my eye into the frame. Gotta love the fog!!

JB

 
under construction