July 17, 2012

early morning walk in Chinatown


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Oh, I suppose its sort of a poor man's ticket to Asia--but at 7AM on most any Sunday I'm probably going to be the only white person you are going to find in San Francisco's Chinatown. Most tourists are a bunch of sleepy-heads!



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I love looking into the storefront windows and finding beautiful things such as this fabric to photograph. And yes, I've eaten at the famous "Sam Wo" many times in years gone by. Sadly, Sam Wo is now permanently closed. In recent years over-zealous San Francisco Health Department officials have made it economically impossible for the restaurant to comply and remain open.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And oh lord... A citizenship test? Really? One that I would probably fail, 'fer sure, no doubt.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Except for stolen candids, chances of photographing the people and faces of Chinatown are slim. But they ARE getting to know me. Now, this has NEVER happened before, but on this last walk-around one old lady who must have been in her 80's actually said "hello", to which I replied as nicely as I could; "good morning". A breakthrough... It was a pleasant moment.


CLICK for the very "best" of my work on my photo website.

No comments:

 
under construction