September 14, 2010

Mission District, San Francisco


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

While the rest of San Francisco is draped in it's morning fog, the Mission District is often sunny and bright in it's own little, almost tropical micro-climate.   Nice enough to put a smile on anybody's face!



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Because of it's usually nice weather the Mission District is sometimes called San Francisco's "Banana Belt", but I think the area is better suited for growing roses.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

It's not difficult to find stunning examples of Victorian architecture in the Mission District. We call these our "painted ladies" and most owners have lovingly restored and carefully maintained their highly decorative façades.

This fine example is on 24th Street, but a plethora of great Victorians can be found on the side-streets of the Mission District and other parts of the City.

I'll have a few more new photos from the Mission District tomorrow, but CLICK for my Mission District set of images on my "big" site.




CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

6 comments:

Janell Rhiannon said...

I had no idea a window could be so ornate and colorful. It looks like a fiesta...painted lady...learned something new first thing in the morning.

Unknown said...

Love the first picture!
Great photos!

MELI. said...

wow great eye donald, as always! :D
xxo.m

AphotoAday said...

THANKS, JANELL, MULLEH, AND MELIGROSA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Such brilliant colors on those murals. Thanks for directing me to your "big" site. I seem to always forget it is there.

Tomate Farcie said...

The roses shot is outstanding!!!

 
under construction