September 21, 2010

Legion of Honor, San Francisco


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Much like today, in the late 1800's you either had money or you didn't. It was an era of extremes and a few gentlemen made huge profits on the commodities and rail transportation they controlled.

Adolph B. Spreckels had the monopoly on sugar, and yes, there was big money to be made in sugar. Adolph also had a wife, Alma de Bretteville Spreckels who was talented in spending her husband's money.

Alma persuaded Adolph to build and donate the museum, completed in 1924 to the city of San Francisco. Mrs. Spreckels made numerous trips to Europe to search out and buy masterpieces for the Legion of Honor's collection.

In 1791 this lovely young lady was Hyacinthe Gabrielle Roland, later Marchioness Wellesley. Oil on canvas by Elisabeth Louise Vigee Le Brun, 1755--1842.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And while I always fall in love with the young lady in the first photo, I'm pretty sure this slightly older lady would straighten me right out.

By Frans Pourbus the Younger, Flemish, 1569--1622, oil on panel.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And yeah, war still rages on. It is man's destiny. Sorry to admit it but suspicion and killing is just about all he is capable of.

Painting by Joseph Wright of Derby, titled The Dead Soldier, 1789.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

One of my favorite paintings at the Legion of Honor.

Reclining Female Nude, by William Etty, British 1787--1849, oil on canvas, gift of David Pleydell-Bouverie.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

4 comments:

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hi Don,
Great paint art I love the style,
See my fog (weather art)
JoAnn Holland

Photo Cache said...

these photos of the paintings are marvelous. i tried my hand at capturing those at the legion but was never successful.

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

I thought museums prohibited photography of paintings. Does the Legion of Honor not care?

AphotoAday said...

HI SINBAD -- O.k., here's the deal with photography at the Legion of Honor, the DeYoung, and MOMA -- non-flash non-commercial photography IS permitted for the permanent collections, but usually NOT permitted for the special exhibits.

By the way, one $10 ticket at either the Legion of Honor or the DeYoung will admit you to both museums on the same day.
What a deal!

 
under construction