June 18, 2010

San Francisco, a mosaic


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Sometimes when I look close I can find stuff that interests me.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Like the colorful mosaic tile on the side of a building, Market Street.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Or the curvy Shaklee Building (above) that clearly shouts out; "Shoot me"





click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Or this gaggle of mannequins, standing around and gossiping about what they did last night.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Hey, any of you mannequins need a good deal on hair?


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

5 comments:

Emmy said...

I love these pictures! The patterns are so pleasing to the eye :)

(and I love the joke about the manikins needing hair! :D)

photowannabe said...

I truly love your banner picture today. Its stunning.
What a fun collection of shots Don. The gaggle of mannequins is a terrific composition. its a story in one shot.

AphotoAday said...

THANKS EMMY, AND HEY PHOTOWANNABE SUE -- you opened up a real can of worms with how to spell mannequin or mankin.

My Mac dictionary gave me this information:
USAGE In English usage, the word mannequin occurs much more frequently than any of its relatives manakin, manikin, and mannikin. The source for all four words is the Middle Dutch mannekijn (modern Dutch manneken) ‘little man,’ ‘little doll.’ Mannequin is the French spelling from this Dutch source. One of its French meanings, dating from about 1830, is ‘a young woman hired to model clothes’ (even though the word means ‘little man ’). This sense—still current, but rare in English—first appeared in 1902. The far more common sense of ‘a life-size jointed figure or dummy used for displaying clothes’ is first recorded in 1939. Manikin has had the sense ‘little man’ (often contemptuous) since the mid 16th century, when it was sometimes spelled manakin (as it appeared in Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night, as a term of abuse). Manikin’s sense of ‘an artist’s lay figure’ also dates from the mid 16th century (first recorded with the Dutch spelling manneken). To confuse matters further, in modern usage the words manakin and mannikin refer to birds of two unrelated families. The history of these bird names is somewhat obscure. Manakin may have come from the Portuguese manaquim ‘mannikin,’ a variant of manequim ‘mannequin.’ Mannikin may have come directly from the source of the Portuguese words, the Middle Dutch mannekijn.

Emmy said...

Thank you for the etymology lesson :) I absolutely love learning about words! That was very interesting :D

photowannabe said...

Phew...I never knew all of that.
When Hubby and I were selling a mannequin on Craigs list I had to look up the spelling for the ad. I didn't have the foggiest notion what was correct.
Sue

 
under construction