March 16, 2010

Nicasio, West Marin -- another reality


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I often speak of "West" Marin as if it is actually a place -- but actually it is something better -- it is a state of mind...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

West Marin begins on the "other" side of the hill -- often light years away from reality.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And these curious plants are from that other reality -- the one on the "other" side of the hill.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

They are Milk Thistles, still prickley but now just skeletons of their former selves.   Lifeless, they have weathered our winter storms -- the few that remain are hanging around like sentinels -- perhaps standing-by to supervise the germination of their seed.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

3 comments:

Tomate Farcie said...

I always feel like I am time-traveling when I'm in West Marin.

Wouldn't be surprised if I saw Steinbech's characters walking around there some day. There is this undeniable "atmosphere."

AphotoAday said...

HI TOMATE FARCIE -- Yep, I definitely agree...

photowannabe said...

My folks used to use the Milk Thistles in their flower arrangements. Sometimes they would spray them different colors, especially gold and silver. They have such an exotic look and really enhance displays.

 
under construction