December 19, 2008

Ondine and Horizons, Sausalito


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

where upper-crust birds gather...


Horizons Restaurant and Events Ondine -- Sausalito...
( text lifted from opentable.com )

This historic building, which now houses Horizons Restaurant and Events Ondine, was built in 1898 by the San Francisco Yacht Club.   Through the early 1920s, the building served as a center for gala parties, yacht races and regattas.   In 1959, a local Sausalito family purchased and leased the property, marking the beginning of a new era for the building: Ondine and Trident, two internationally acclaimed restaurants opened and soon became popular celebrity destinations.   In January 1981, this beautiful space was revived into Horizons restaurant.   Inside is an incredible recipe of art and architecture, complemented with a resemblance of an old yacht.   The ceiling mural was original to the Trident and painted by Dave Richards, creator of Janis Joplin’s infamous 1965 Porsche Cabriolet.   On the outside deck, discover one of the most stunning restaurant waterfront views on the west coast, which boasts the skyline of San Francisco, Angel Island and Alcatraz.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

5 comments:

Tomate Farcie said...

Oh, goody, a new site? Cool. That'll give me something to play with this WE! :)

You know, Don, every time I click on your blog, it feels a little bit like the xmas mornings of my childhood, when you knew there was going to be something interesting under the tree, but what? So you click (enter the room) and see the banner (the presents under the trees). Thank you for posting all these treasures.

photowannabe said...

Your Oldies but Goodies is simply amazing. These belong in a coffee table book or notecards or prints. I am so taken with them. As Tomato says I love seeing what you produce every single day.
(:0)
Sue

photowannabe said...

Oops I meant to say Tomate Farcie...

AphotoAday said...

Thanks Tomate Farcie and Photowannabe Sue,

You probably don't know how much your appreciation of my work inspires me to do more of it...

Best regards, Don and Kitty

Anonymous said...

Dear Donald,

I like the reflection of San Francisco’s skyline on the windows of the restaurant. I would like to see a bigger photo of this historical building, I am going to search on Google.

Your “Oldies but Goodies” are super! I know some of them but I have discovered and contemplated with pleasure some very beautiful old shots I haven’t seen before.

I haven’t read the Kitty Blog for a while and I enjoyed reading your latest notes there :-)

If you want to see a photo of my cat, Greeny, please visit my blog.

I wish you a wonderful Sunday! :-)

 
under construction