August 03, 2013

Golden Gate Bridge -- just prior to sunrise


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

A note I received from the GGB's public affairs director in 2010:



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

When I received this letter I have to admit I was a bit miffed--after all, I wasn't selling all that many of my photos in 2010. But after a bit of back-and-forth e-mailing Ms Currie and I worked out a deal. On the "offending" photos I agreed to put a note clearly stating that those specific images were not for sale. "Works for me", Ms Currie said. End of story. No $2000 fee.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

But when you think about it, this policy of the GGB sort of makes sense. After all, everybody-and-their-brother would be wanting to be doing commercial and wedding photography on the span, quite possibly creating a distraction for motorists and an impediment for pedestrians, however I think the $2000 fee is more than a bit abusive. "Usury", I think they call it in law.

Just don't get me going on the subject of the elimination of the toll-takers on the Bridge. The billing system is a nightmare, and if you are even one day late with your payment the owner of the vehicle is summarily fined $20 per instance. Bloody and heartless bastards--those Bridge people, in my opinion.
Click to find out how much Bridge directors and employees earned in 2007.


CLICK for 40 photos on what I call my "big site"; photoarrow.com.

CLICK for "Photographing Marin County"; my Marin County exhibit.

3 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Makes me want to drive down, take a few pictures, then set up a stand with a 2 cents price tag on each.

Nancy Ewart said...

You go Sinbad - this is extortion pure and simple. What's to prevent a photographer from taking the photo, and then, saying - "will discuss specifics in a private e-mail." The only good thing about this is that it shows that Donald's photos are getting more exposure as well they should.

I'd like to give the GG bridge director a piece of my mind. I'm not part-Celt for nothing.

AphotoAday said...

Criminal, I say, the way these crooks operate. Huge salaries for board members for precious little work. If Mary Curry wasn't such a nice lady, I would harbor great resentment.

 
under construction