November 17, 2012

Holy Mackerel -- sunrise, once again


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Some folks will call this a "buttermilk" sky, but more might know it as a "mackerel" sky, getting its name from a resemblance to the speckled skin markings of the King Mackerel, the fish.

Sailors have used this cloud formation for centuries to predict the weather. An old nautical saying is; "Mackerel in the sky, three days dry". And yes, I snapped this three days ago, and now it is raining.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

If I've learned anything about sunrises, it is that birds celebrate the event with great vigor and excitement.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Being a bit of an old bird myself, my excitement level also rises. I've been known to mutter; "oh wow", and offer up a hearty; "hey, look at that"...


CLICK for new slideshow on my "BIG" photo website.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL skies ... some of your best, if you ask me. ZLOVE that mackerel sky shot!!

JB

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

A mackerel sky. Not only did I really like the photo but the term too. I'll have to remember that one although when the time comes I can use it I'll probably say something stupid like tuna fish.

AphotoAday said...

Hey, JOHN (SINBAD'S DAD)
The first time I heard of a mackerel sky was when someone referred to a quote from William Blake. Not that I've ever sat down and read much of William Blake, but I used to like to mention it--when I wanted to sound impressive.

 
under construction