December 29, 2010

atmospherics on Mount Tamalpais


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Usually my photo expeditions are not planned -- often I haven't a clue where I will end up or if I will find anything worthwhile to shoot.   But in this case I pretty much knew what I was after -- streaming sunlight -- and with an abundance of wisps of fog on my beloved Mt. Tamalpais I pretty much knew I would find something rather spectacular.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This particular spot, less than a mile west of Fairfax has become one of my favorite places to stop and contemplate the beauty of "The Mountain".   That squarish bump on the very top is a fire lookout -- not staffed this time of year but in Summer some lucky guy or gal gets to live up there.

From that vantage point on a very clear day it is possible to see as far as the Sierras to the east, San Francisco and the Peninsula to the south, the Pacific Ocean to the west, and a good chunk of northern California, including the Wine Country, to the north.



CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo.
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

Your comments are invited and welcome.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful! :)
Its like a fairy tale!

Scott Law said...

These are definitely amongst my favorite of yours for the exact reasons you pointed out with the fog and streaming light.

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Some day you will have to weasel your way into that fire lookout station and take some photographs of the four compass directions.

photowannabe said...

So pretty. I love the sun's rays and the view of Mt. Tam is great. Good capture of the fog below. It would be fun to get into the tower for photos.

AphotoAday said...

Thanks SCOTT, and also thanks SINBAD'S DAD and PHOTOWANNABE SUE, but getting up in the fire lookout wouldn't be easy if not invited -- they've got some serious barbed wire strung-up to prevent any unauthorized entry... I HAVE snuck into the FAA radar site (((the big golf-ball))) up there and didn't get caught... Otherwise I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to breaking rules...

Jennifer said...

Donald - these are spectacular. Particularly the first - it reminded me of a "defining moment" I had in a forest one time. I'm glad I came by.

julie said...

That first photo is so incredibly gorgeous. WOW.

 
under construction