April 03, 2010

Cat-Tails near Inverness


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

You may remember me showing a photo or two of this Dacha, a Russian style vacation home, a while back.   In the distance is Black Mountain, sometimes called Elephant Mountain.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

These Cat-Tails are a bit more than tattered from all this Winter rain that we've been having, but I think they are still standing proud.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Now, the Wikipedia says cat-tails (((I probably shouldn't be adding the hypen))) have a proper name of Typha, but they have other common names of bullrush, reedmace, punks, and what I think is my favorite -- corndog grass.   With apologies to Kitty I'm going to start calling them sausages...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And there it is again -- Black Mountain in the distance.   This spot, at the southern end of Tomales Bay is directly on the San Andreas earthquake fault.   I was hoping the fault-line would start jiggling (((oh what am I saying?))) so I could get a bit of a ride, but earthquakes seem to happen only when we least expect them.   Our last really big one on this fault was in 1989, and it was a real doozie!   It caused major destruction and loss of life in San Francisco.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

3 comments:

photowannabe said...

Ah yes, the 1989 earthquake was a doozie. Pretty scary but fortunately no major problems for us in Pacifica. I have to admit I'm glad to be out of the fault zone now.
Love the cat-tails. those in our yard now have been cut way back and there is lots of new green growth.
Have a good weekend Don.

Unknown said...

Wow, this is great! Love it!

I really like the first one! Would really like to be there!

Keep it up!

AphotoAday said...

HI PHOTOWANNABE SUE -- Oh wow, you have cat-tails in your yard? Neat... I have a cat on my lap as usual...

AND THANKS MULLEH -- Yep, sometimes I forget what a pleasant place this area is... Really nice now with everything so green... We've had more than our share of rain this year so hopefully it will stay green for a few months before everything starts to dry out...

 
under construction