September 13, 2014

sunrise at Nicasio -- reality without reproach


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

It was Tuesday morning and getting late, and because of a plain vanilla sky--without clouds--I wasn't quite sure if I was going to snag any photos or not… Imagine my delight when I arrived at Nicasio Reservoir and discovered that the lake was busy at work generating its own set of foggy clouds.

And yes, that bird is real--not later Photoshopped into the scene… Just a bit of happy happenstance I suppose, as I would have been perfectly satisfied with the other snaps I was making of the scene without the bird.

Not that I have always been beyond reproach--in 1963 I remember feeling terribly uneasy about one of my my Monterey County Fair entries. I had added in a string of low flying birds into a rather pleasing splash image. No Photoshop--just scissors, rubber cement, and a copy image; yet the judges fell for my deception and the print, although it won no award, got hung. I have never quite gotten over my deception and can only tell you about this now because I believe the Statute-of-Limitations has run out on the crime.

originally appeared on AphotoAday, December 23, 2012

No comments:

 
under construction