January 17, 2014

a wide angle on the world


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that we boys need our toys--and I've got a new one--a wide angle zoom lens, and a whole 'nother way of looking at the world.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Yes, this is new and it is going to take some time for me to hone some new skills, but so far--so good. I am digging what I'm seeing. For years I've been seeing in an isolated and narrow fashion from the center of my eye, picking out forms and details in the distance with my 70-200. Now I am able to attempt a much wider view with this new 24-70.

I decided against buying a Canon lens which would have cost an additional $1000--this is a Tamron SP24-70 f-2.8 Di VC USD. Consulting the MTF charts, this lens should be just as good as a Canon. I traded in some old equipment at B&H, so I purchased it for a song.


Photographing Marin County - the exhibit and book   


4 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Love the cow photo. It will be interesting to see your view of the world through the new lens. Have fun with it.

AphotoAday said...

Thanks, SINBAD'S DAD (JOHN) -- Yeah, I had a lot of fun with those cows. I think it is a swell photo, but sent it to a buddy of mine last night and he responded with a big "so what". I think he expected or though I was representing it as art. It is just a pleasant photo of a cow in her beautiful environment of Point Reyes. Enough for me. Who needs "art".

Unknown said...

Your photos have greatly improved since I last visited here. Nice to know.

AphotoAday said...

Thanks, EUTHYMIC... I've been working hard at it, but some days (like today) it is a real struggle. I am SO lucky to have an opportunity to do what I do. I've gotten some really good publicity in the past few months and my "stats" have just about doubled. This is definitely a "labor of love", but would like to remind everybody that, yes indeed, my prints ARE for sale. Oh yeah, I know--I am a dreamer.

 
under construction