March 10, 2010

Fort Point (part 2 of 3)


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Although the U.S. Military has taken great strides in recent years to reduce racial discrimination within it's ranks, the traditional and authorized attitude persists that Officers are entitled to better living and working condition than Enlisted Personnel.   But let them have their sherry in their fancy glasses -- we lowly cannon-jockeys will take our port in a tin cup.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Oh, I know I'm about as old as dirt, but not quite old enough to know exactly how to go about using a big bowl and pitcher -- I mean -- what is a fellow supposed to do?   Pour water over his head and let it collect in the big bowl?   Or, maybe I'm just supposed to go soak my head...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

When entering Fort Point last Sunday I experienced an immediate travel back in time -- that was expected -- but what I also found curious was that while I was inside the Fort I completely lost touch with where I was -- oh, I knew I was in San Francisco but it just as well could have been some Medieval fortification on another continent.   It's only until you climb to the roof-top gun positions that you are actually aware of the huge and busy Golden Gate Bridge looming directly overhead.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

1 comment:

photowannabe said...

Too funny about soaking your head. Great indoor shots by the way. I especially like the last one with the sun and shadows.
My kids always like visiting the fort for that very reason. They could loose touch to where we really were and they stepped back in time.

 
under construction