September 26, 2009

San Rafael, California


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Well to be honest, San Rafael, California, doesn't really have a lot going on for it, except that it's the largest city in Marin County and for it's historical importance as home to one of the string of 21 California Missions established to whip the local native population into submission so their souls would be suitable for "Heaven".



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This is not Father Junipero Serra, as I've always assumed -- but Father Vicente de Sarria, the founder of Mission Archangel Rafael.   The mission was established in 1817 and received Mission status in 1822.   Between those dates it served as a hospital serving the sick for Mission Dolores in San Francisco.   You can read more about Mission Archangel Rafael here.

I've only been inside the Mission church once, so I decided to spook around once more -- after all, they have a sign on the door that says visitors welcome -- so with all the reverence I could muster I carefully opened the heavy door, only to find that they were right in the middle of a Mass, or whatever it is that they do.   Several people turned around to see who was coming in late -- imagine my shock -- I quickly backed out and closed the door.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Detail from one of the Palm trees near the Mission.   Artistic, isn't it?

CLICK for an old shot outside,
and CLICK for another inside the Mission.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Mt. Tamalpais as seen from San Rafael.   I think one of my goals in life is to photograph Mt. Tamalpais from every angle and under every weather condition -- a project that should keep me busy for a few years...


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

1 comment:

Louise said...

Palms are definitely artistic. I like your photography goal regarding Mt. Tamalpais. I have a goal to photograph a house/building in every color of the palette of the company for which I sell stamps. (48 core colors, 6 neutrals, 6 extra colors per year.) Your goal is probably more worthwhile.

Shocked, funny!

 
under construction