September 21, 2007

surf, Tennessee Cove


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

It was a gray Sunday morning in March 1853 when the fog lifted just enough to show Captain Mellus of the SS Tennessee that he’d missed the Golden Gate and was about to collide with an unknown shore.   Rather than crash against the rocks, the captain steamed his vessel right up onto the beach at what is now Tennessee Cove.   All 550 passengers (about 100 of whom were women and children) climbed safely off the ship onto dry land.   There was even time to salvage fourteen chests of gold before heavy surf broke the Tennessee’s oak hull to pieces at the southern end of the cove.
I like the top shot, but please tell me which version you prefer...

p.s...   I've just finsihed updating my photos over at Flickr


CLICK to visit my photographic Daily-Duo...
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat...
CLICK for latest photos taken with new Canon5D + 70-300


Your comments are invited and welcome...

3 comments:

photowannabe said...

I think I like the first one best too. The space at the top of the cliff gives a more balanced composition to me. I do like the way the wind is blowing the wave in the second though. Both are really great shots.

JAM said...

Beautifully captured. I know for certain that if I were standing there, I would be mesmerized by the power of these waves. You really get the feeling of that when looking at these photos.

ASHE said...

I agree, the first shot is the best. The seafoam is more dynamic. In both shots, it looks like the wind was raging. Gives a great feel to the picture!

 
under construction