September 09, 2007

San Rafael Mission


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

O.k., we're going to have a little test next Friday, so listen up...
San Rafael, California, was named after the Archangel Raphael, who was "God's Healing Messenger"...   La Mission de Gloriosisimo Principe (San Rafael Mission) was the 20th on the Chain of California Missions...   San Rafael Mission was founded by Fray Vicente de Sarria, on December 14, 1817...

By the way, I noticed a sign -- the Sacrament of Penance is every Saturday, 3:30PM to 4:30PM, in case there is anything you need to take care of...

You won't believe this, but at the school right next to the mission, way back behind the building they are storing three huge wooden crosses that they probably use for their Easter pageant...   It was so wierd to just see them laying there on their sides -- like they were waiting to be called into use...   Nightmare material -- kind of disturbing...


CLICK to visit my photographic Daily-Duo...
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat...
CLICK for latest photos taken with new Canon5D + 70-300


Your comments are invited and welcome...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like all the neutral colours in these photos

AphotoAday said...

Well, thanks Piika... --Yeah, I actually hadn't noticed that -- sort of dusty colors from the old west... --I always have trouble with skies -- dark blue skies can get to be a bit too much after a while... On that photo of the roofline, I didn't do any post-processing just so I wouldn't mess up the sky, or anything else, for that matter...

photowannabe said...

I love the bell shadows on the second shot and the cross peaking over the top of the roof.

Tomate Farcie said...

Shame on me but I never visited the San Rafael Mission ... even though I lived in Gerstle Park for years. Yeah, stay away from these crosses ;)

 
under construction