October 08, 2012

the way to Capitol Reef National Park -- part 8 of 10


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

After I posted this set of Aspens as yesterday's header I started having second thoughts. The images weren't living up to my expectations. I DO have my standards. But this morning I think I found a way to salvage them. I re-Photoshopped and reduced their "clarity", producing what I think is somewhat of a dreamlike veil taking out a lot of the offending and extraneous detail. Click if you would like to see the unacceptable versions.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The Paria River snakes its way through the convoluted wastelands of the "Giant Staircase" area in Utah's Escalate National Monument. It is a wild ride along the crest of ridges, with dramatic drop-offs on each side of the road. I was on my way, barring an unplanned plunge down these cliffs, to Capitol Reef National Park.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I had never visited Capitol Reef National Park, so I was pretty much lost. These tourists on horseback plus their guide were more than happy to reassure me that Capitol Reef was just down the road--I couldn't miss it.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

Capitol Reef, with a 75 mile long "spine" of tall cliffs was a major obstacle for pioneers making their way west. The word "reef" was given to this rugged up-thrust of jagged peaks, domes, and cliffs by a wagon-train guide who had prior experience navigating at sea.

The ancient petroglyphs in Capitol Reef were a highlight of my trip. These are attributed to the Fremont Indian culture, from approximately 600AD to 1300AD. According to Utah.com;  the figures include a wide variety of zoomorphic (animal-like) figures include bighorn sheep, deer, dogs, birds, snakes and lizards. Abstract designs, geometric shapes and hand prints are also common.


CLICK for new slideshow on my "BIG" photo website.

1 comment:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Capitol Reef came to me a few years back when I reached a fork in the road - "Do I turn left or go right?" I flipped a coin and left it was. What a great find Capitol Reef and I will go back again when in the neighborhood. I thought the trees looked great yesterday but I do know your standards are much higher than mine.

 
under construction