July 02, 2011

China Camp has seen busier days


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

This is a fragment of the venerable Sea Breeze, a beached shrimping boat at China Camp Village that has seen busier days. China Camp is on the western shores of San Pablo Bay, which is the upper "thumb" of San Francisco Bay.

In the late 1800's to the mid 1950's China Camp was home to hundreds of Chinese immigrants who operated a large Bay Shrimp netting and drying operation. Netting shrimp was one of the few businesses the Chinese were allowed to operate, although they were required to hire a "white man" to deliver their fresh catch to market in San Francisco. Much of the dried product was shipped to China and Japan.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

The hull of the Sea Breeze makes an irresistible subject for budding photographers of all ages, including old farts like me.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I've spent endless visits trying to frame up this and similar scenes. I always seem go home with an image just a little bit different from my last.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I've been told -- but I really don't believe it -- that Frank Quan, the fellow you see on today's header, opens this well-worn restaurant towards the middle of the day on weekends. I'm pretty sure Frank doesn't have a license to sell beer anymore, and if you're looking for a shrimp-cocktail you had be ready to settle for one of those little oddly shaped jars filled with months-old shrimp and awful tasting catchup. Bon Appitit!



CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

No comments:

 
under construction