August 28, 2009

designs at Point Richmond

click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

On Wednesday I had nothing else better to do so I buzzed over to Point Richmond just on the other side of the bay.   When I saw this rusty set of cubby-holes I said to myself;   "oh yeah, rust"...

click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

What I was after was a new shot of this old railhead where freight-cars used to be loaded barges for the final leg of their trip to San Francisco.

Unfortunately my photo attempt failed miserably, so what you see above is a shot from several months ago.   Oh, I'll keep trying -- I've seen some stunning images of this scene by other photographers -- usually hgh-contrast black and whites.

I think the design would look great with a glorious sunset in the background.   Are you listening, God?

click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I thought the roof-top of this old railroad building was kind of interesting and I even climbed a short fence so I could check out the interior.   No -- I didn't spot any giraffes or bandaged companions -- just a lot of empty beer bottles and graffiti...

click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I'm not sure what this section of fence was protecting, but this is where the tracks ended.   I suppose it was a fairly dicey operation transferring a rail-car from solid ground onto a barge that was bobbing up and down with the waves.   Oh, I'm sure they had a good system for lashing the barge down...

In the background you can probably see Sutro Tower and a layer of fog creeping it's way across San Francisco.

CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.

Your comments are invited and welcome.


photowannabe said...

Always love the different points of view you photograph.
Rust and old twisted stuff makes such super pictures.

Louise said...

Yes,a sunset behind it. What about a sunrise if you were on the other side? Is that possible?

Müge Tekil said...

The photo of the rusty cubby holes is great indeed! Although not photographed with a sunset in the background, the railhead looks impressive...

Tomate Farcie said...

Did you get to go all the way around? They have a little Marina in the back, if memory serves, maybe it'll make some nice pictures. I wonder if that big old ship is still there (right before the road turns left, towards the Marina). Haven't been to Pt. Richmond in 4 years, but last time, I got lucky and saw the train come through.

under construction