April 18, 2009

Lupine is everywhere


click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

I swear I've never seen more Lupine than this year.



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

And the poppies are right there, helping out...



click photo for full-size image
photo by Donald Kinney

For some reason it's always difficult to photograph Lupine, but I always give it my best shot.   Getting all the parts in focus is almost impossible -- it's an open framed plant with no real center -- it's sort of like pieces of popcorn on a stem...

About eighty species of Lupine can be found throughout the world -- and yes, Lupine is also spelled Lupin.


CLICK to visit my Daily-Duo
CLICK to visit KittyBLOG -- the daily doings of my cat.
CLICK for what I call my BIG site.


Your comments are invited and welcome.

9 comments:

Louise said...

I LOVE lupine. Mixed with the poppies is even better. And I certainly have no complaints about your photo!

photowannabe said...

Love the wild Lupine. I'm surprised I don't see more in the fields around here. Love your close-up of it. Some flowers are so hard to photograph.
Thanks for my stars award. Sometimes I do get it right...

Deborah Godin said...

It is a beauty, so many a the legume flowers are. Hadn't thought of the difficulty focussing, though - interesting!

Si's blog said...

You did a great job of focusing on the flower. Spectacular. Is Lupine a relative of the Texas Blue Bonnet?

Marvin said...

Beautiful shots of the Lupine. We probably have some variety around here, but noting that looks as lush as what you've photographed. Nice work.

Müge Tekil said...

I don't know this flower, at least never seen around, but I think you photographed it perfectly! Amazing blue colour!

Tomate Farcie said...

LOVE that color!! Well done!

Heidi said...

Fantastic... I do so love the Lupine of spring. It's all over this year!

Adam R. Paul said...

I agree - there seems to be a bumper crop of lupine in the bay area, splashing random hillsides with swaths of purple. Suits me just fine!

I also agree that it's not an easy wildflower to photograph, and you articulate the reason well. Also not an easy one to identify down to the species since there are so darned many of them around here!

All 3 of your photos here are lovely. In my mind, lupine & California Poppies are the essence of spring.

 
under construction